I’ve been looking into making another grain-free, or at least flour-less chocolate cake. It turned out to be super easy, and nutty 😉
Technically it isn’t grain-free, because the flax seed count as one. But you won’t need any other grains. I have to warn you: this cake is ridiculously rich. It is best to serve small portions.
The cake is super easy to make and doesn’t need many ingredients. The baking time is very important, it can take up to 45 minutes. Please make sure to do the needle test until an inserted wooden skewer comes out clean.
As always, this recipe for nutty chocolate cake is vegan, gluten-free and without refined sugar. While I have used hazelnuts, this recipe works with other nuts too 🙂
Makes a 7inch (18cm) cake spring-form:
For the cake:
2 cups (280g) hazelnuts
1/2 cup (50g) FAIR-TRADE cocoa powder
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon (55g) coconut sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
3/4 cup (190ml) water
For the drizzle:
1/4 cup (35g) nuts
1/4 cup to 1/3 cup water
2-3 tablespoon FAIR-TRADE cocoa powder
1-2 tablespoon coconut sugar (or more if you like it sweeter)
1. Preheat oven to 210°C (top-/bottom heat). In a blender, pulse the hazelnuts to fine crumbles. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Sift in cocoa powder, coconut sugar and baking powder. Add ground flax seed and mix well.
3. Then add the water and mix until combined.
4. Line spring-form with baking paper, grease the sides. Transfer dough to spring-form and spread evenly.
5. Bake covered for 35 to 45 minutes, or until inserted wooden skewer comes out clean. test is recommended!
6. Let cool down a little before taking it out of the form. For the drizzle, simply blend all ingredients until smooth. A powerful mini-blender is recommended for this step.