Last weekend I did some more Christmas baking. These cookies had been on the list for quite a while. Once they were in the oven I couldn’t believe this utterly delicious smell that wafted through the house. This is Christmas feeling! How could I forget?
As the name says already, cinnamon is the star ingredient in these vegan and gluten-free cinnamon star cookies. It adds an amazingly cozy flavour.
I have used hazelnuts for the dough, but you can also use almonds or other nuts.
For approx. 50 cookies you’ll need:
2 cups (290g) hazelnuts
1/2 cup (90g) coconut sugar
3 tablespoon psyllium fibre husk
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1-2 pinches salt
1/4 cup water
For the glazing:
25g cacao butter
35g coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon ground coconut sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (top-/bottom heat) and line baking tray with baking paper.
2. Pulse the hazelnuts until finely ground and transfer to a medium sized bowl. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix well.
3. Add water to the bowl and stir well until combined. Scoop the dough onto a sheet of baking paper, place another sheet of baking paper on top and roll out until approx. half a centimeter high.
4. Use cookie cutter to cut out stars and place them onto baking tray. Knead the remaining the dough to a ball, place on baking paper, cover with additional baking paper and roll out again and cut out cookies. Repeat until dough is finished.
5. Place tray in oven and bake for approx. 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool down before glazing.
6. For the glazing, melt ingredients in a double boiler. Then let cool down a little until the liquid becomes thicker again. Use a teaspoon to place a small dollop in the middle of a cookie and pull glazing to the corners.
7. Let cool down until set. Store in air-tight container in a cool and dry place.