Summer is here! And summer means ice cream time! So I tried a new ice pop recipe.
This time I used an ingredient that I have never used in a recipe before (besides the odd mylk or smoothie): hemp hearts! They are loaded with protein and Omega3. And because of the Omega3 you want to avoid heating it. So of course, I did the complete opposite and froze it! Ha! 🙂
These hemp hearts create a nutty, slightly earthy flavour which is quite unique. I love the creamy consistency. No dairy needed!
That makes this recipe for Hemp Chocolate Ice Pops not only vegan, gluten-free and fruit-sweetened, but also nut-free (well, as long as you don’t garnish them with pistachios as I did).
Make approx. 9 ice pops:
For the ice pops:
140g hemp seeds
140g dates, pitted and diced
2 tablespoon FAIR-TRADE cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon ground vanilla
1 pinch salt (optional)
For the chocolate drizzle:
2 tablespoon cacao butter, melted
1 tablespoon FAIR-TRADE cocoa powder
2 tablespoon ground coconut sugar
1. For the ice pops, blend all ingredients in a powerful blender until smooth.
2. Pour the mixture into the ice pop mould. Cover with lid, insert wooden sticks and place in freezer until solid (approx. 4 to 6 hours).
3. When the ice pops are frozen, take them out of the mould. Turning the mould upside down and letting some warm water run over it, can help to get them out easier.
4. Store ice pops in freezer while preparing the chocolate drizzle.
5. For the chocolate drizzle, combine the ingredients in a cup. It might help to place the cup in a bowl with warm water to keep the cacao butter soft.
6. Drizzle ice pops one by one with the chocolate and garnish to your liking. I use extra hemp hearts and some chopped pistachios.