Super easy hot cross buns. Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free and yeast-free.
For the dough:
120g buckwheat flour
120g rice flour
30g corn flour
2–3 teaspoon mixed spice
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
120g cooked pumpkin
70g coconut sugar
4 tablespoon psyllium fiber husk
For the glaze:
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
1 teaspoon hot water
For the crosses:
1 tablespoon rice flour
1 teaspoon buckwheat flour
2 pinches guar gum
1 pinch baking powder
2–3 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 210°C (top-/bottom heat)*. Prepare the glaze by mixing the ingredients in s small bowl or cup until dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, mix the ingredients for the crosses. The texture should be fairly thick and pasty, but thin enough to be able to pipe it easily.
- Blend pumpkin, coconut sugar and water shortly in a blender. Then add psyllium fiber husk and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Mix the remaining ingredients for the dough in a bowl. Add the blended pumpkin mixture. Stir and knead the dough until it is combined.
- Form buns with wet and cold hands and place on baking tray. Then brush with the coconut glaze.
- Transfer the mixture for the crosses into a piping bag or icing bottle. Should it have thickened up too much, add a few more drops of water.
- Pipe the crosses onto the buns. Place the tray in the oven and bake for approx. 25 to 30 minutes.
*I actually heat my oven to 220°C. After placing the tray into the oven, the temperature usually dips down to 180°C and then slowly reaches 200°C. It’s quite an old electric oven. results may vary with different stoves. I recommend using an oven thermometer.
Keywords: hot cross buns, vegan, gluten-free, yeast-free, oil-free