It’s kiwifruit season here in New Zealand! While I’m not a fan of those sickly sweet golden kiwifruits, I’m a real sucker for the green variety with its slight tangy flavour. These furry little things are a real super food, bursting with vitamin C and many other important minerals and vitamins.
I created this no-bake kiwifruit vanilla slice recipe quite a while ago. With fresh kiwifruits now popping up on the shelves again, I had to make it again…and share the vegan and gluten-free recipe with you 🙂
While this recipe calls for green kiwifruit which can be quite tangy, the overall flavour is more on the mild & sweet side of things 🙂
For a 17 x 28cm form cake tin you’ll need:
For the crust:
1 1/2 cup (200g) macadamias (or almonds, preferably soaked in filtered water for at least 8 hours, then drained)
1 cup (140g) dates, pitted and diced
1-2 tablespoon water (if using dry nuts)
For the vanilla layer:
2 cups (280g) cashews, soak them for approx. 6 hours, rinse and drain
1 cup (140g) dates, pitted
1 cup water
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence or vanilla paste
For the kiwifruit layer:
300g kiwi-fruit, peeled
45g fresh spinach
1/4 cup (35g) dates, pitted and diced
Chopped pistachios and shredded coconut for garnish (optional)
1. For the crust, pulse the nuts to fine crumbles, using a high-speed blender. Transfer to a medium sized bowl.
2. Pulse the dates to fine crumbles and add to the bowl. If using dry nuts, add one or two tablespoon water until the dough is relatively sticky.
3. Line cake tin with baking paper. Scoop dough into cake tin and spread it evenly. Place in fridge or freezer while preparing the vanilla layer.
4. For the vanilla layer, blend all ingredients until smooth. Pour into cake tin and spread evenly.
5. Then, without cleaning the blender, blend kiwifruit and dates until smooth, then add add spinach and shortly blend until smooth.
6. Scoop kiwifruit mixture in dollops onto the vanilla layer. Then use a teaspoon to swirl it all through. Add garnish of your choice.
7. Place in freezer until set. Cut when still firm and let then defrost further before serving.