I’m a big fan of berries. They are the ultimate super food and really, you don’t have to get them out of the rain-forest. Good old raspberry, blueberry, black current etc just do the trick! They are not only rich in anti-oxidants and vitamins but are also said to have many healing and preventive properties. I’m not a big fan of writing essays though. If you are interested in this topic, better do a quick search and see for yourself 🙂
Please note: In this recipe I have used a mix of 2/3 raspberries and 1/3 black currents, but you can use all sorts of berries. I recommend to add some berries with a tart flavour to allow for an interesting contrast of flavours.
For a 27x18cm tray you’ll need:
For the crust:
1 1/2 cup (210g) almonds, soak them in filtered water for at least 8 hours, the rinse and drain them
1 cup dates, pitted and diced
For the vanilla layer:
2 cups (280g) cashews, soak them in filtered water for at least 4 hours, the rinse and drain them
3/4 cup dates, pitted
3/4 cup filtered water
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the berry layer:
1 cup (approx. 240g) berries (please see note above)
1/4 cup dates, pitted
Chopped pistachios for garnish (optional)
1. Pulse the almonds to fine crumbles and transfer to a medium sized bowl.
2. Pulse the dates to fine crumbles and transfer to the bowl. Mix well.
3. Line the cake tray with baking paper and scoop the dough for the crust into it. Spread it evenly and press it slightly firm. Place in the freezer while preparing the next layer.
4. For the vanilla layer, blend all ingredients to a fine cream. If your blender isn’t very strong, let the dates soak in the water for a while. Pour the vanilla cream into the cake tray and spread it evenly.
5. Blend the berries until smooth. Add the dates and blend to a fine paste. I prefer a small blender like the Personal Blender for this step. Scoop the berry sauce in small portions onto the vanilla layer.
6. Using a teaspoon, mix the berry layer with the vanilla layer by stirring the berry sauce in. Then shake the tray until the filling has set relatively evenly. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios or garnish of your choice.
7. Place in the freezer until set (approx. 4-6 hours). Let thaw a little before cutting the slices. Then let defrost before serving.
Please let me know what you think about this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! 🙂