A kiwi classic, but vegan, gluten-free and oil-free, thanks to Tonzu Tofu. Because this tofu is not only organic but has the perfect texture, not too soft and not too firm.
If you can’t get Tonzu Tofu, I recommend a medium firm tofu that is more on the soft side.
If making the tof(ish) and chips at the same time, I recommend to bake the tof(ish) on the lower rack and the chips on the top rack of the oven.
Makes 2 to 3 portions:
For the To(fish)
• 1 Tonzu Tofu
• 200ml coconut cream
• 1 teaspoon psyllium fiber husk
• 1 teaspoon kelp powder or 1 nori sheet
• 1/2 teaspoon salt (or less)
• 2-3 tablespoon buckwheat or rice flour
• gluten-free bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (top-/bottom heat).
2. Blend coconut cream, psyllium fiber, kelp and salt in a small blender. Transfer to a soup dish. Should it become too thick, add a little more coconut cream or water.
3. Place flour into another soup dish. Prepare third dish with bread crumbs.
4. Cut the tofu into two chunks and slice each chunk into three slabs.
5. Place each slab first into the flour dish and dust evenly from each side.
6. Then dip tofu slab into the dish with the coconut cream to coat evenly. Pick it up with a fork, let excess cream drip of and drop into dish with bread crumbs.
7. Cover evenly with bread crumbs. Gently place onto baking tray that has been lined with baking paper.
8. Place in oven and bake each side for approx. 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
When serving, you can sprinkle some more kelp powder onto them before drizzling with lemon choice.
For the Oil-free Chips
• 3-4 large agria potatoes
• 1 heaped tablespoon buckwheat or rice flour
• 1 teaspoon paprika powder
• 1/3 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1. Fill a large pot half with water. Bring to the boil.
2. Preheat oven to 200°C (top-/bottom heat).
3. Wash potatoes, slice into chips.
4. When the water is boiling, add the potato chunks and parboil for approx. 1-2 minutes. Don’t let the water start to boil again.
5. Drain the water. Then sprinkle with remaining ingredients, place lid on top and vigorously shake it to coat the potatoes with the flour and spices.
6. Place on lined baking tray and bake for approx. 10-15 minutes before flipping over and baking another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.